Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Prettiest Dive Ever!!!

So, today was supposed to be a three tank dive day for me.  However, the first dive did not go as smoothly as the others I have done this week.  Yes, it was my first Nitrox dive - but that had nothing to do with it.  It turns out the current was extremely strong and in the process of swimming against it, I sucked up much more air than the other divers.  I don't know how or why, but I did.  I then felt that I didn't want to hold anybody back on the second dive of the boat trip so I decided to snorkel instead.  The snorkel was great.  I saw a lot of eels, a spotted drum in about 5 feet of water just hanging out outside his hidey-hole (very unusual) and a lot of baby fish.   I did get to see a small sea turtle on the dive which was quite nice.

After lunch I was debating whether I should dive or snorkel when I met up with my friends, John and Dee.  They were kind enough to invite me to be a buddy with them again.  They assured me that they had no problem getting me back to the boat if I used my air quickly.  They were o.k. with just hanging out near the boat until they ran out of air.  (And whatever calming effect they have on me I, once again, finished with much more air than others on the boat.)  I am SOOOO glad the convinced me to do this.  The dive, 'The Forest' off of Klein Bonaire, may be the single most beautiful place I have ever seen in life.  The coral was amazing!  The fish were gorgeous!  I can't even begin to describe it in a way that would give you any true impression of just how beautiful it was.  You're just going to have to get yourself here and see for yourself.  It would be worth it!!!

As for Nitrox and whether you are less tired after using it as opposed to air, hmmmmm - talk to me when the drink of the night isn't basically a raspberry milk shake.  Right now I'm absolutely exhausted, but my guess is that it has a lot to do with the large quantities of alcohol I ingested, and not with diving either Nitrox or air!!

1 comment:

  1. Dani, I have to agree publicly about the awesomeness of "The Forest" dive site. Without going blathering too much, and acknowledging that Dee and I haven't dived everywhere in the world [yet], that dive site (even on a cloudy afternoon) was very, very impressive. In all of our diving on every continent around the world (except Antarctica...brrr), only one underwater valley has so far compared with the awesome underwater vistas we saw that afternoon. Nice description!

    ReplyDelete