Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SNAFU

Today I screwed up. Somehow, I recorded my Nitrox course as taking place at but, unfortunately, the class started at .  By the time I found out, all of the morning boat dives were already full.  I, of course, had to take myself off of the dive.  So instead of diving today, I did a lot of snorkeling.  I've decided that I like both activities equally well.  With diving you get a VERY close up view of a lot of really cool things, but you miss the big picture and you are limited on time based on air consumption.  I also find with diving that I have a fairly large number of brain cells thinking about safety that when snorkeling would be looking for sea life.  Also with snorkeling, you get a much wider view and see a lot more activity and you can snorkel as long as you'd like.  Today I took a two hour snorkel in the morning.  It was cloudy so the colors weren't as vibrant, but still it was nice.  Then, just before my class started, the sun came out and I couldn't resist heading back out for a short while to see the fish at their most resplendent.

As for the Nitrox course, I wasn't extremely pleased with the teacher.  The class started with her being upset with us for not having Nitrox dive computers.  When we all replied that the person who signed us up for the course said that all of the equipment we needed for the class would be provided, the instructor was still quite unhappy with both us and the situation.  She went on about it for several minutes, at which point, I interrupted her and said, "If you have an issue with this, you really need to educate the people signing students up for the course.  It is not our fault or problem that this has occurred."  She settled down a little bit and replied, "Well, I'm just telling you for future reference."  Ummmm, WHAT future reference?  The course is a one-shot deal.  We will never be in this position again.  Why do we need to be scolded for future reference?  After that comment, she lost all credibility in my view, and I was very happy to find that the bulk of the course was being 'taught' by a video.

After her emotional explosion the course came off without a hitch.  I am now a certified Nitrox diver – though I will NEVER show anybody my Nitrox C-card with the photo the incompetent instructor took.  I’m not vain, but this is beyond bad.  Don’t even ask to see it.  I promise I will NOT show it to you.  Anyway, to make up for my lack of diving today, I have a two tank dive tomorrow morning at and a one tank dive at .  I will be diving with Nitrox!  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment