Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why wommitt?

In September I asked my friend, Scott, if I could take over his bike blog for a short while during his vacation in Spain.  I didn't do it because I felt inclined to write.  I did it because it was a beautiful time of the year in which to ride my bike and with Scott away there weren't as many people around with whom to ride.  I hoped that if I posted invitations for my rides on the blog, Scott's readers would join me and I would have many people to ride with - then and in the future.  As it turns out, that’s not what happened.  The only person who ever joined me on my rides was my friend, Susie - and she would have ridden with me whether I posted the rides on the blog or not.  This was more than fine by me.  With Susie, I chose to look at it as quality of fellow riders as opposed to quantity!!

Although I never did find new people with whom to ride, by maintaining the bike blog I discovered that I REALLY enjoyed writing.  On days where I was not in the best of moods I found that escaping into the writing process actually put me in a much better mood.  I also found that when people commented on my blog articles, it really made my day.  So when Scott returned and told me that I needed to continue guest-blogging on his site, I was very happy to do so.  Recently though, I haven't been doing a lot of writing.  With the extreme amount of snow we've gotten this year, I just haven't been able to ride my bike. (Extreme Sadness!)  Without riding it's kinda difficult to write bike articles!  And although Scott writes many wonderful, non-bike related articles on his blog, and would probably welcome mine of the same ilk, I am not comfortable posting non-biking articles on his blog.  It is my opinion that Scott's followers want to read his views and insights, not mine.  So I decided, with some gentle urging from some very dear friends, to start my own blog.

Now, if you've read any of my postings on the bike blog you will probably have noticed that I always write to my audience and I do my best to keep the writing light and, at least slightly, humorous.  On wommitt that is not my intent.  I will be writing completely for myself.  Yes, at times I will still have the light-hearted, fun postings that people have enjoyed on the bike blog, but I will also have other types as well.  If I'm angry you'll hear about it.  If I have a strong opinion (which I usually do) it will be right out there.  If I'm not feeling creative and I just want to rant - well, it's my blog and I can rant if I want to!!  Read or not as you choose.  As I said, this blog is all about me indulging me.  And, if at times one of those self-indulgent postings is extremely sappy-happy or too touchy-feely and  makes you feel somewhat nauseous, well I guess that directly answers the question of “why wommit?”

2 comments: